Sunday, July 29, 2012

Back in the States

So we are all back home and resting up.  I slept like a little baby last night after our 34 hour travel session.  We could not have asked for better travel (minus the hour delay in Atlanta).  That is all thanks to our wonderful Lord and the prayers that were said for us.  So thank you, everyone, for the prayers.  I believe I can speak for all 6 of us when I say that we left part of our hearts over in Kenya with those kids.  That was the most amazing experience I have ever had and I can't wait to go back.  I miss all of their little faces and their little giggles.  You can see God's hand working in their lives and the lives of the house parents at Mattaw.  Those house parents were, potentially, the most spiritually grounded people I have ever met.  They all have their own kids yet they are willing to raise 12 or 13 kids that are not their own and they love them all the same.  It's truly an amazing thing.

They taught me this week to really appreciate everything I have.  I know that's a cliche thing to say, but it is so true.  Mom asked one of the house moms, Grace, what she thought they needed:  clothes, shoes, food, etc.  She said they needed nothing.  They live in concrete buildings with electricity only sometimes.  The women cook over little coal stoves and hand wash clothes in buckets and hang-dry their clothes on barbed wire fences.  They have meat only a few times a week and have poridge for breakfast almost every morning.  And she said they needed nothing.  They get it.  They really get it.  They realize that God has provided everything they NEED.  They have everything they NEED. 

Going over their I thought we were helping them by taking things we THOUGHT they needed.  We did help them and some kids did need new clothes, but they provided us with the things our team needed; we experienced joy, true thankfulness, and, overall, we experienced Jesus.  That was the best part of the entire trip! 

We met so many wonderful people and I can't wait to go back!  :) 

Thank you all again so much for the prayers and everything that you did for us.  I attached a link to my Flickr page that has some pictures from our trip.  I tried to pick some of the better ones, but if you have Facebook, I have all 312 pictures posted.  My name on there is just Meghan Scholtens and you should be able to view them even if you're not my friend!  Enjoy! :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52995884@N03/

Lots of Love from Team 6!
-Meghan, Alleshia, Kim, Jeff, Marci, and Lydia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment